Earthquakes effect thousands of people every year. Have an earthquake survival kit ready for your family and sleep soundly knowing you are prepared in the case of an emergency. An earthquake survival kit is easy to make and can provide you with peace of mind. Read on to learn make an earthquake survival kit.
1. Buy a large storage bin to place the kit in. The storage container needs to be big enough to hold everything.
2. Place a crescent wrench in the kit. A crescent wrench is necessary to turn off the gas and water in your home. The gas can stay on unless you have massive damage or unless you smell gas.
3. Purchase flashlights for each member of the family. Keep two sets of batteries for each flashlight.
4. Gather enough bottled water, canned food and dried food to sustain your family for three days. Include one gallon of water per family member per day. If there are infants in your family, include powdered formula. Remember to include a manual can opener for the canned food.
5. Purchase a camp stove or small grill to cook on. Buy one extra can of gas if you have a camp stove. Add charcoal or gas to the earthquake survival kit if you have a grill. Include matches or a lighter to light the fire for the grill or stove.
6. Buy disinfectant cleaner to clean surfaces after the earthquake.
7. Purchase a first aid kit that contains all required medications for your family, adhesive bandages and antibiotic cream.
8. Include a battery-powered or hand-cranked radio with two sets of replacement batteries. The radio can provide you with updates and information if televisions, telephones and computers aren’t available.
9. Gather three pairs of clothes and an extra pair of shoes for each member of the family. Change out the clothes in the kit as your children grow so the clothes fit them when the earthquake hits.
10. Put extra blankets in the kit.
11. Include at least $100 in cash for the kit. If the electricity goes out, credit card machines don’t work. Cash allows you to purchase necessary items.
12. Buy at least one fire extinguisher for your house. The fire extinguisher must work on all types of fires.