Replace a Turn Signal on an Acura Mdx
Acura’s MDX luxury SUV uses standard halogen bulbs for its front and rear turn signals. The MDX was introduced for the 2001 model year; it was substantially redesigned for the 2007 model year. The first and second-generation MDX use similar bulb setups. Although the bulbs used are different, the replacement procedure is almost exactly the same between the two models. Replace your turn signals as soon as possible, if you discover one is burnt out.
Replacing the Front Turn Signals
1. Wear a pair of clean gloves before beginning. Touching the new turn-signal bulbs with your hands will cause them to burn out.
2. Remove the front-bulkhead cover from the engine compartment, if you’re replacing the turn signal in a second-generation Acura MDX (2007 and newer). If you’re replacing the turn signal in a first-generation model (2001 to 2006), this is unnecessary.
Eight holding clips hold on the front-bulkhead cover. Remove each clip by inserting a flat-head screwdriver underneath the tip, and pushing up. Once the clips are out, lift the cover and move it away.
3. Locate the turn-signal bulb socket and carefully twist it counterclockwise to detach it. The turn signal is the bulb closest to the fender well on either side of the MDX. Lift the turn-signal bulb socket out of the engine compartment to access it.
4. Pull the old bulb straight out the turn-signal socket. Push the new bulb down into the socket completely. Re-insert the turn-signal socket back in place. Twist it clockwise to attach it. Repeat the procedure, if necessary, for the other side. Turn on the turn-signals to check the lights before replacing the front-bulkhead cover.
5. Move the front-bulkhead cover back in place, lining up the holes in it with the mounting holes in the engine compartment. Re-attach the eight holding clips by pushing them down firmly.
Replacing the Rear Turn Signals
6. Put on a pair of clean gloves. Open the rear-cargo door. Inspect the area next to the tail-light assembly, near the rear-cargo door support shocks. You’ll find two small covers. Pry these covers out with a flat-head screwdriver.
7. Remove the two bolts behind the covers with a socket wrench. Pull the entire tail-light assembly out of its cavity to access the bulbs. The rear-turn signal bulb is the front center bulb (facing the MDX’s front).
8. Twist the turn-signal socket counterclockwise gently. Pull it out of the assembly. Pull the old bulb out of the socket; insert the new bulb fully. Place the turn-signal socket back into place; turn it clockwise.
9. Place the tail-light assembly back in its cavity. Tighten the two bolts with the socket wrench, and then push the two covers back in place to hide the bolts. Close the rear-cargo door.